Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tadpole and Comet

TADPOLE AND COMET

One clear evening, a comet appeared in the night sky. A tadpole broke the surface of his pond making ripples. He looked up and saw the comet with its long tail trailing. "Hello," the tadpole said to the heavenly visitor, "It is a fine night."

The comet, thinking the tadpole said "finite," replied, "The stars are infinite. They go on forever and can't be counted. I came from a greater pond than the one you're in Ñ the ripples from the Big Bang are still expanding. Like the first breath of life; it has yet to exhale."

"If you think the stars are so many consider the eggs of all the frogs on earth, I'm sure they outnumber the Milky Way."

"If you want to compare frog spawn to the Milky Way you will need a microscope and a telescope," the comet went on.

"Can't you just look down the wrong end of a telescope at a drop of pond water," the tadpole kidded.

"With a microscope one can see amoebas and paramecium and further into molecules and atoms," the comet said. "Even the smallest frog egg resembles the universe, for it is made of molecules and atoms and a nuclei, just like the sun with the earth spinning round it."

"You must have seen so much traveling from one end of the universe to the other," the tadpole exclaimed.

"I have seen many things, but your planet is the only place where there are advanced life forms."

"I bet you say that to all the little tadpoles you see peeking at you from other realms. I'll be losing my tail soon and willl be headed to another world," the tadpole boasted.

"My tail will be around for almost an eternity", the comet said, "Did you know that comets are loaded with water? Some of my predecessors crashed into your planet just so that you would have a pond to swim in."

"When I look up at a night sky," tadpole said, " I feel that I'm inside the the skin of a giant body and stars are like tiny pores letting in the light."

"The universe resembles a man who is made in the image of God.." With that the tadpole went under the water and the comet continued on its course through the heavens.

© 1996 Stefan des Lauriers

No comments: