Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Golden Footprints and Footsteps to a Star / Stars Beneath My Feet





As I went out one wintry day
Into a brilliant orange sunrise
I saw before me on the way
Something glowing in the ice
O it had snowed an inch or so
The scene was something to behold
For where someone had gone before
Footprints now had turned to gold

As I walked on the road ahead
Where the snow had fallen down
I saw each step as a golden thread
The fields were dressed in pure white gowns
Who left these footprints in the snow
To shine on like a golden seam
Is there an earthly way to know
The inspiration to a dream

I thought about the frozen prints
That shone like gold in the morning sun
And it became quite evident
They could have been left by anyone
But who among us here today
Deserves to leave where we have trod
Golden footprints on the way
And lead us on our walk with God

© 2001 Stefan des Lauriers



This is an alternate melody for Golden Footprints, when repeated twice.





How a Dog Helped me write a Song

This is a true story about a dog helped me write a song. In January of 2001 one we had a Spitz, (American Eskimo Dog) that my daughter rescued from the pound. It had not been treated well before ending up in the pound and was very difficult to manage, but we did the best we could. Of course I was the one who had to walk “Koby” every day.

So I was taking the dog for a walk at sunrise one winter day after a dusting of snow. As I turned the corner I was facing a beautiful orange sunrise. Someone had walked on the sidewalk before me, packing the snow with their steps. The rest of the snow had been blown away so that the footprints shone like gold. The image stuck in my mind, and I thought “Who deserves to leave Golden Footprints in the snow?” I soon had a song called Golden Footprints. If it hadn’t been for my American Eskimo barking at me to take him for a walk I never would have seen the footprints, and never would have written the song.

So this is how a dog helped me write a song…


THE STARS BENEATH MY FEET

If my heart were as deep and wide
As the furthest star you see
I'd be in that great iris above
The Garden of Galaxies
But not only heaven knows
There are more stars below
To remind you who is the boss
In the mysterious realm of the southern cross

Its the better half of the cosmos
The love I hold so dear
If I am the north she’s the southern  hemisphere
My view of the heavens would not be complete
Without the stars beneath my feet


If true, love is perpetual motion
I’m forever being spun
In the halo of my love's embrace
The two of us make one
And being a solar flare
That tends to go off into space
It must take the highest love 
To keep the stars in place

Its the better half of the cosmos
The love I hold so dear
If I am the north she’s the southern  hemisphere
My view of the heavens would not be complete
Without the stars beneath my feet
         
May 3 2015

  



FOOTSTEPS  TO A STAR


Debbie’s gone to Nashville on Greyhound bus
She was saving up for college but quit Toys “R” Us
Along went mother’s suitcase and daddy’s red guitar
The only song it ever played was “Footsteps to a Star”

The song had gone unfinished for the longest time
It had a golden hook but was short one real good line
If it’s your destiny fame will find you where you are
“Don’t follow in my footsteps when I go reaching for a star”


Debbie had the knack of knowing exactly who you are
And knew the beating in your heart down to every scar
She could look inside your soul with just a passing breeze
And was good at clipping coupons for apple pie and cheese

A week passed and Debbie was on the porch asleep
Looking so defeated that night her dad began to weep
The way she sat upon the chair was like a fallen tree
But then she woke up and said, “Dad, I forgot my key”

They said they loved “Footsteps” and I have a “velvet voice”
Let’s go shopping tomorrow for a Ruby red Rolls Royce
If it’s your destiny fame will find you where you are
“Don’t follow in my footsteps when I go reaching for a star”

© 2014 Stefan des Lauriers












No comments: